Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I haven't tried these........but they sound interesting

It seems that whenever I decide to make tacos, chili or something that I typically use Onion Soup Mix for.........I'm out of the seasoning packets. Yes I've tried my hand at winging it but my limited assortment of spices just never quite tastes the same for taco or chili seasoning. Now onion soup mix I can come close, but I love the convenience of just dumping a packet in when I'm making roast. So I found these recipes, I haven't tried them yet, but they look promising. It would be great to make up a batch and have them on hand rather than buying packets. Bonus - I have most of these ingredients on hand (except for Minced Garlic, Marjoram and Cumin)

Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
1/4 cup, minced onion
2 Tbsp, chili powder
2 tsp, paprika
2 tsp, crushed dried red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp, dried oregano
1/2 tsp, dried marjoram
1 1/2 tsp, dried oregano
1/2 tsp, dried marjoram
1 Tbsp, salt
1/4 tsp, pepper
2 Tbsp, cornstarch
1 Tbsp, instant minced garlic
1 tsp, ground cumin
Whisk all ingredients together and store in airtight container. Use within 6 months.
**About 2 Tbsp equals one packet



Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon for warm chili or 1 tablespoon for hot chili - crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon dried, minced garlic
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a bowl stir together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container. Use approximately 2T for a small batch of chili (1lb meat) or 4T for a larger batch (2lb meat).

Homemade Onion Soup Mix
· ¾ cup instant minced onion
· 4 tsp onion powder
· 1/3 cup beef-flavored bouillon powder
· ¼ tsp celery seed, crushed
· ¼ tsp sugar

Mix all the ingredients and store in an airtight container.
**About 2 tbs equals one packet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I mixed up the homemade onion soup mix - I plan to use it the next time I cook a roast
Mom Peggy